Tuesday 12 April 2011

Clamato Juice and The Bloody Caesar

There are two new things I have come across since being in Canada. Clamato juice and The Bloody Caesar.

The first time I heard about the Caesar and Clamato juice was when I was at work in Hamilton (yes I have a job, but I work about 5 hours a week if I am lucky). I think it was my second shift and a customer asked for a Caesar, I pretended to know exactly what she was asking for, telling her I would bring her one, and hoping that we could make this type of cocktail. So off I went to ask another waiter what on earth was a Caesar, he proceeded to tell me that it was just like a bloody mary but made with clamato juice, to which I asked what is clamato juice? My reaction went something like this, you can't be serious? That is disgusting, clams and tomato juice in a drink, Yuk. Any way, I proceeded to make the cocktail and serve it.
Yes, clamato juice is tomato juice and clam juice, not actual clams, just the juice. The Caesar is a cocktail made from clamato juice. In fact the Caesar is a Canadian cocktail, and according to wiki is one of the most popular cocktails in Canada http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caesar_(cocktail)

I decided to write this blog after I attended a food and wine festival on the weekend. I was going to blog about the festival but sadly every photo I took did not work with or without flash. Very disappointed. On entry to the festival I was given a show bag and received a free can of clamato juice, and that is when I decided to write this blog.  
  
I also decided that I needed to taste both clamato juice and tomato juice, and also make a Caesar and taste that too and then I can have an opinion. I roped Adam in on the tasting, despite his aversion to tomato juice and clams.
Off I went to the supermarket and this is what I found

I went home and made two cocktails one with clamato juice and one with regular tomato juice. 

The Bloody Mary and the Caesar.
The only difference I found was that the tomato juice and consequently the Bloody Mary were thicker in consistency. The clamato juice and Caesar were watery. I noticed this when I was pouring the clamato juice into the glass and also when I tasted it. I did not think there was an overriding taster of clams in the clamato juice, perhaps it was a little more salty, which isn't a bad thing, but I guess I prefer a thicker more tomatoey consistency.
Adam did a blind tasting and he guessed which one was the Caesar and the Bloody Mary. He also said that they tasted similar.
Overall, although the concept of clamato juice sounds revolting, it actually isn't that bad. However, if I had an option to have a Bloody Mary or a Caesar I would probably stick to the Bloody Mary. I guess that is obvious because of where I come from and what I am used to. I am sure if I was Canadian and grew up in Canada drinking clamato juice my answer would probably be different.
Hope you enjoyed. 
From the Maple Girl.  


6 comments:

  1. Sounds healthy!!! I won't have any when I come over though. How was the festival? you haven't said much about it. Love mum

    ReplyDelete
  2. Clamato !!?? Too funny....
    It does sound a revolting mix (clam juice and tomato)... thanks for being brave enough to try it!
    Great pics by the way!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sort of healthy but in the caesar you put vodka... so I guess then it is not too healthy. Interesting drink though which is made much better with some tobasco and worcestershire sauce. I am glad you like the photos Matt, this blog thing is great fun. I also love having an alias, it is like I have a split personality...

    ReplyDelete
  4. we had caesars everyday when we were in canada for happy hour, couldn't get used to them. Clam juice is insane!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Clam juice sounds so disgusting, but good on you for having a try. I am impressed with Adam's blind tasting - very scientific :) Am enjoying reading the blog.

    ReplyDelete